Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lots of interesting looks and comments...

This weekend we had the Seiler children at our home so that Tom and Karen could have one last weekend away before Baby #3 arrives in June. Our children are around each other a lot (close to every day) and get along great. In rank its - Tommy (44 months), Brooke (42 months), Sammie (26 months), and Clayton (18 months)...and soon Baby Seiler. So today was a cold, windy day, Mike needed to study, which meant that the 4 kids and I had all day just to play...but what to do?! I decided that we'd take a field trip to Hoffer's Tropic Pet Life (a huge pet store). I put the younger two in the stroller and gave Tommy and Brooke strict instructions to hold onto the stroller in the store and that if they let go we would leave. They all did GREAT! No meltdowns, no disobedience...perfect behavior. They loved the snakes, lizards, birds, alligators, turtles, fish, fish and more fish. But we definitely got some interesting looks as I traveled through the store....interesting as in "lady, are you crazy for having so many kids!" As we were leaving a little girl whispered something to her mother that I didn't hear. Her mom responded, "No honey, I think they are all part of the same family." To which I quickly corrected her.

We came home ate lunch, all four kids took awesome naps (miracles really do happen!) and then after dinner Mike and I decided to run a few errands with the kids before bedtime. Again, great behavior in the stores, but a lot more looks. One lady stopped Mike to ask, "What are their ages...are they all yours?!" And again as we were leaving, this younger couple whispered (but still loud enough to hear)..."Yeah, that's what I'd call a fun shopping trip." For good behavior, they were all rewarded with a trip to Toys R Us.

I just find it so interesting people's perspective on that many small children at one time. I think I'd find it more interesting to send a 8 month pregnant woman (i.e. Karen) out into the same scenarios and then hear what people had to say!!

No comments: