Thursday, May 15, 2008

Little Girls and Boys DO play differently

Anyone who claims that boys and girls don't play differently than each other has either never had kids or never had one of each! Clayton has the car "garage" toy that has a place to race the cars, wash them, fill up the gas tank, etc. And Clayton will play with his cars on it with sound effects and all. The other day I found Brooke playing with it, but she had a very different idea...it was her Barbie's water park. The car ramps became water slides and the tower became the high dive. Here's a dated picture of the toy (October '07)...

I am just amazed at how different boy vs girl is! Brooke plays with dolls, likes to pick flowers, etc. and Clayton enjoys balls, throwing anything he can and eating the occasional rock on the playground.

And of course...a Brooke story. We (just Brooke & I) went to Sendik's grocery store on the way home from BSF yesterday. As we are checking out (by the way I'm standing by the checker and Brooke is down at the end of the aisle on the other side of the cart) Brooke says, "Mommy, is that a boy or a girl?" She was referring to the checker. So I did what any mother would...I pretended I didn't hear her and she got louder..."MOMMY, is that a BOY or a GIRL?!" I shot her a look and gave her a shhhh....and she got louder..."Mommy I want to know if it's a boy or a girl!" To which I replied, "Brooke, this is a nice lady that is helping us today." In the parking lot I explained to her that people don't like being asked if they are a boy or a girl. "Why?" she asks. "Because it's just not nice" I told her, "But why mom?" "I don't know, Brooke, some people just don't like being asked if they are a boy or a girl." I'm sure this is just a taste of what's to come...and remind me again why I was so eager for her to speak clearly!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Elizabeth-
Thanks for sharing your blog! It's fun to read about what is happening in your family! I like your writing style - I can just hear you telling the stories! Looking forward to keeping up with what's going on...
Amy :)