Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sound Sleeper - Role Reversal

When Mike and I were first married he was the very light sleeper and I was the very sound sleeper. Somehow once we had kids those roles became reversed. When Mike stayed overnight with me in the hospital after Clayton was born, I'd have to page the nurse to wake Mike up to bring the baby over to me. By the time Clayton was done eating Mike would be sound asleep on the other side of the room and I'd have to page the nurse again to wake Mike up to get Clayton back in his bassinet. (So we decided for this baby that Mike would just sleep at home and I'd just page the nurse to bring baby out of the bassinet...cut out the middle man.) I also remember a few times during Clayton's first year of life that I'd ask Mike to go in to either change his diaper or bring him into our room and I vividly remember him stumbling out of bed, going into Clayton's room and coming back a few moments later - without the baby...he was just that out of it. And the point of this story....last night I got a probably much needed reminder that I shouldn't plan on Mike's help during the night with this next baby either. At around 11:45 p.m. my back was hurting so I asked Mike if he could go get me some Tylenol from the kitchen cabinet. I heard him stumble in to use the bathroom, then I heard him go into the kitchen and open what sounded like Tylenol, then he shut off the lights, came back to bed, crawled into his side of the bed and was snoring within seconds. Hmmm... I tapped him and asked if he brought the Tylenol back with him. He looked very confused - woke up a bit more and then thinks that he recalls taking the Tylenol before coming back to bed. Yeah - that's not going to help my back pain any... So he wandered back into the kitchen and did come back with the Tylenol for me this time. It gave us both a good laugh and me a good reminder of the future!

No comments: