Friday, November 6, 2009

Mornings with Brooke

This week I had two mornings that I was able to spend with Brooke (and Lincoln, but he slept 95% of the time.) On Monday, Clayton went to play at Grandma Denyse's for the morning and Brooke and I headed off to run some errands. I love our conversations and I think anyone that overheard us couldn't help but smile.


  • At Sam's I was picking up English muffins and I chose the cinnamon raisin flavor. Brooke wanted to know why I didn't pick the "double fiber" option. I replied that they didn't have as much flavor as the cinnamon kind. "How much flavor do they have mom?" after a brief pause, "Probably none." The man standing next to us laughed as he knew she had great wisdom for such a little girl.

  • In the Kohl's restroom we had quite the conversation over manual vs. automatic flushes and what a lever is and does on the back of the toilet. My answers may have been as entertaining has her questions...she is so curious about EVERYTHING!

Then on Thursday I kept Brooke home from preschool because she was a little under the weather. We took a meal out to some friends that recently had a baby and most of the conversation on the way there was about our friends Jodi, Marlaina and Baby Paeton - that family has quite the little fan club with Brooke. She speculated how they were spending their day and wanted to know several times how to spell their last name (watch out Ulrich's - I feel some artwork coming your way.)


On the way home we drove past Lowe's and she explained to me that the store belongs to someone named Lowe. I asked how she knew that and she quickly replied with a little bit of inpatience "because of the equal sign and the s." She meant apostraphe "s" but I was still very impressed. It must have been several weeks ago that she had asked me why Kohl's had a mark before the "s." I explained to her that it showed ownership and that a person named Kohl owned that store. She has a better memory that mine for sure!


Oh, she also let me know that the other day too... she wanted a grapefruit for breakfast but we were short on time so I told her to remind me for lunch and that I would peel one then. I reiterated that she'd have to let me know because I might not remember (and heaven forbid the meltdown as she's heading down for nap and then realizes I didn't make good on my promise.) Her response, "Is that cause you're old and can't remember things?"


I love the 1-1 time I get with my kids and how their personalities shine through when they aren't in competition for my attention.

No comments: