Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A small world...

I know that a child lives in a much "smaller world" that expands to them as they get older, but this was too funny. I got a sheet from Brooke's speech teacher today about the things that a 5 year old should know. One of them was to identify different coins and their worth. Well can I tell you the last time Brooke saw me use something other than my debit card?? Anyhow, I decided we'd do crayon rubbings of the coins as a fun way to learn. We started with the penny and I asked her if she knew who was on the front. "Oh! It's daddy!" - Close Brooke...it's Abraham Lincoln and he use to be president. We turned it over and I asked if she knew what that was a picture of. "It's daddy's work!" Close again Brooke, it's the Lincoln Memorial. She was just too cute in how proud she was that she thought her daddy and his work were on this coin.

One other funny thing - when I told her that Abraham Lincoln was a President, she said, "oh, he must be very smart." "Mom, is our president now - Obama - is he very smart?" I told her that we hoped so and we also hope that he makes good choices.

No comments: