Tuesday, June 16, 2009

1 down, 9 to go

I've officially survived the first week of bedrest - only nine more to go! Brooke wanted to know how long 10 weeks was, so I told her 70 days. I can definitely say that it feels much better just to say 10 weeks! Miss Becky came over last Tuesday to get a whirlwind debrief on all the things of the Stanley home. She started caring for the kids full-time on Wednesday morning as I began my time in bed. But in typical Stanley style we wanted to make sure her first day was memorable...Clayton woke up around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday night with a 103.5 degree fever. We finally got him to sleep only to have him screaming hysterically for Mike at 5 a.m. So Mike brought him into bed with us and a few moments later he was vomiting all over our bed. I'm not sure exactly what bug he had other than a fever and diarrhea for the next couple days, but his mood was justifiably less than good - "welcome Becky!" She has done so well with the kids. I like to think of them as pretty good kids, but Brooke and Clayton are definitely non-discriminatory with who they will act up for, whine at or be outright defiant to at any given moment that they don't get their way! Becky has stepped right in to let them know what the boundaries are and that her rules are pretty much the same as mommy's. They've gotten to play outside more in the past week than we did all spring - mostly because I haven't been "allowed" to chase Clayton for about 4 months and generally being outdoors with Clayton leads to some sort of chasing. Each morning they wait in the family room asking over and over "Is Miss Becky here yet?!" or "How many more minutes until Miss Becky comes to play?!"

Last Friday, Grandma Nancy took the kids to the zoo. Yesterday, Becky took them to Old World Wisconsin - I'll post some great pictures of both events when I make it downstairs.



A note about bedrest. I had to be on bedrest for 8 weeks when I was pregnant with Clayton and I really don't remember it being too bad - time marched on and I had a healthy, full-term child at the end of it. Well for this round, after about 2 days my legs would spasm any time I'd recline on my back and if I layed on my side for too long my back muscles would start cramping. All that to say, my Dr. agreed yesterday that I could spend a good portion of my day sitting vs. laying down and just to continue to minimize the amount that I was standing or walking. Today was great. I felt like I actually accomplished some things (it's pretty difficult to do much of anything while laying on your side) and here at the end of the day I'm not in pain.

No comments: