Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sounds of Home

I like that I can usually tell what my kids are doing in another room just by knowing the sounds that different things make and how they sound when they're doing different activities. I realized this morning that much of that skill has been developed because I've had to do a lot of clean-up as a result of different sounds.

For example:
  • I can usually hear the faucet being turned on upstairs because I've cleaned up a number of floods in that bathroom.
  • I know the sound of an opening screen door because I've chased Clayton around the house a few times after he's proudly escaped.
  • I can hear tiptoes down the basement stairs of someone about to get something out of the pantry (like a new box of Cheerios proudly opened by anxious fingers.)

And this morning a new sound for my database...odd hissing from the family room - Clayton applying his own aerosol sunscreen. He was so proud of himself that he could get ready to go outside all by himself that we simply talked about how that was mommy, daddy, grandma or Miss Becky's job. SO - Mike will be cleaning the carpet this evening!

No comments: