Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Brooke Turns FOUR!

We had a great day celebrating Brooke's birthday today. I love that this year she was able to count down the days to her birthday and maybe for the first time understood what a special day her birthday is. The day started with Mike and I greeting her in her room singing "Happy Birthday" - she was beaming! Our tradition is to have birthday cake for breakfast on birthday mornings - Brooke had requested a banana cake, so that's what we did. After breakfast she opened part of her present from Mike and I - new socks and a train ticket for Chicago tomorrow. We then headed over to Grandma Denyse's to drop off Clayton so that Brooke and I could go to BSF. She, again, was so excited to have all her BSF friends sing "Happy Birthday!" to her as she walked into the classroom. After BSF we headed back to Grandma Denyse's for a birthday lunch and a cupcake. During Clayton's nap, Brooke and I played Candy Land...she won! (fair and square) Somehow we ended upstairs in her room and I don't know what events transpired that we ended up filling bags and bags for Goodwill. I was so proud of her as she willingly put many of her toys in the bags so that kids who don't have any toys can have some of hers. All said and done, her toy room and closet are completely cleaned out - and we had a lot of fun in the process. Grandma Nancy, Grandpa Ken and Uncle Kenny came over for Chinese food (Brooke's request - I know, weird!) MORE cake and a couple presents. (Clayton and Brooke are having a joint family birthday party on 11/8.) She got a fun bag from Aunt Laura, new boots and purple footed PJ's from Grandma Nancy, a Dora watch from Grandma Denyse, and the neighbors were so sweet to bring over some bath soap and a coloring book. She went to bed a little early so that she and daddy can head off on their date taking the train to Chicago to visit the Shedd Aquarium. What a blessing she is to us - and how amazing it has been to watch her grow! My favorite moment yesterday was when I had her sit down for quiet time in her room. She says, "Mom. I have to be silent right now so that I can hear what God wants to tell me." How amazing it is that someone so young has such a love for Jesus. I pray that never changes.



No comments: