Friday, October 10, 2008

Sharing a good story...

On our vacation I was able to do some reading (both fiction and non.) As I was making notes of my takeaways from the books (I know, dork!), I remembered that I loved this story that was an excerpt from Beholding God. What a great reminder that it takes more than good intentions to be a good mom - we need direct intervention from the God that created our children.

“I need oil,” said the old monk. So he planted an olive sapling. “Lord,” he prayed, “it needs rain that its tender roots may drink and swell. Send gentle showers.” The Lord sent gentle showers.
“Lord,” prayed the monk, “my tree needs sun. Send sun, I pray Thee.” The sun shone, gilding the dripping clouds. “Now frost, my Lord, to brace its tissues,” cried the monk. Behold, the little tree stood sparkling with frost, but at evening it died.


Then the monk sought the cell of a brother monk and told his strange experience. “I, too, planted a tree,” he said. “See it thrives well. But I entrusted my tree to God. He who made it knows better what it needs than a man like me. I laid no conditions. I fixed not ways or means. “Lord, send what it needs,” I prayed, “the storm or sunshine, wind, rain or frost. Thou hast made it and Thou does know.”"

No comments: